John Weathersby, Executive Director of Open Source Software Institute joins Nate DiNiro to share some of the details about the mission of his organization, which is to promote the adoption of open source in federal, state and local government. OSSI helps government stakeholders identify and facilitate open source software solutions as a viable business opportunity. While most of OSSI’s experience is in defense and the intelligence community, with recent growth in Homeland Security, John shares an example of a situation where the Government was able to spin out the IP of a Federal workflow management system, known as the “Open Source Corporate Management Information System”, and successfully structure the legal status to create a open source project which can benefit other agencies and safe government dollars.
Tags: defense, federal, goscon, gov 2.0, gov20, govIT, homeland security, intelligence, john weathersby, nate diniro, open source, ossi, technology
Leave a comment
- The e-Patient Rap: “I wanna be an e-Patient”
- Open EMR presentation and discussion at Portland Linux User Group
- Federal Health and technology leaders on open standards successes; encouraging health IT entrepreneurs at HIMSS ’11 venture fair
- Steve Holden welcomes guests during his Open Bastion launch in Portland Oregon
- Richard Boyd, Chief Architect for Lockheed Martin Virtual World Labs at HIMSS ’11